Transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF) is the most advanced procedure for safely and effectively treating chronic acid reflux, or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). TIF reconstructs the body’s normal anti-reflux barrier, or esophageal sphincter, without any incisions. This method of treatment acts on the anatomical cause of GERD, rather than relying on medications, which is beneficial because the long-term use of antacid medications can lead to constipation, bloating and gas, along with a major expense when added up over time.
If you would like to learn more about this revolutionary treatment for GERD, or to schedule a consultation with one of our board-certified gastroenterologists, contact the Reflux Surgery Center of Excellence located in Los Angeles today by calling (888) 593-1042.
Am I a Candidate for the TIF Procedure?
TIF has been shown to be extremely effective for people suffering from GERD. During your consultation, you will be examined to determine if you meet the criteria for a TIF operation. Some of the following criteria may mean you are eligible for TIF:
- At least 18 years of age
- Must be suffering from GERD (with painful or uncomfortable symptoms)
- Unresponsive to anti-reflux medications or a desire to avoid long-term use
- If hiatal hernia is present, it is less than 2 cm in size
- No other serious anatomical abnormalities within the esophagus, including obstructions, motility disorders, strictures or larger hiatal hernias.
Benefits of TIF
In clinical studies, 93 percent of patients remained free of their heartburn, and 79 percent went off their daily PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) two years after the TIF procedure. Some of the other benefits of TIF include:
- Incisionless approach which means no scars!
- Partial fundoplication—a more physiologic repair
- Constructed over a shaft that prevents overly tight fundoplication that can affect natural abilities to swallow, belch or vomit
- No internal cutting or dissection of the natural anatomy—faster recovery!
- Comparable results to conventional anti-reflux surgery
- Better safety profile than conventional anti-reflux surgery
- Can be revised if required
- Does not limit future treatment options
Undergoing the TIF Procedure
During this incisionless acid reflux surgery, you will be placed under general anesthesia, so there will be no discomfort. The EsophyX device will be placed into the mouth and then down into the stomach. After achieving proper placement, the surgeon will reconstruct the gastroesophageal sphincter that prevents reflux. Through creation of this valve, the surgeon will be treating the anatomical cause of GERD and heartburn.
This innovative procedure takes approximately one hour and offers minimal discomfort. Currently, patients are required to stay overnight before returning home, but soon will be able to undergo the procedure on an outpatient basis. Following the TIF procedure, you should follow the special diet prescribed by your doctor during the first few days of recovery. Most patients can return to work and normal activities within a few days after the procedure.
Contact a Los Angeles Acid Reflux Specialist
For more information on transoral Incisionless fundoplication or other reflux surgeries offered in Los Angeles at the Reflux Surgery Center of Excellence, feel free to contact us at (888)593-1042 to schedule an appointment.
Next, learn how acid reflux is diagnosed.